Wednesday 27 November 2013

Diary of Erika... (A Sweeper)...

   
J - what is your name?

E - Erika

J - What do you do?

E - Am a sweeper...

J - Why choose such a job?


E - I had no choice, Erika is a fatherless child, that was raped at the age of 15years, out of fear, I couldn't tell anyone but after some months, I was terribly sick and was rushed to the hospital , the doctor told my mum that her daughter is pregnant, she slumped and died, Erika became an orphan, few months later I had my kids (twin girls).... I have to stay with my aunt for years , helping her with her business and, in 2008, she set a little business (restaurant) for me to  enable me take care of my kids, I was managing it and taking care of my kids until 2011 when the new government came into power and we were asked to vacate the place because it was an illegal structure.... Because of this, i have to stay home for 2 months, there was no source of income, i have kids to cater for, house rent and all ...

J -  How did you get this job?

E - Within the 2 months that I was at home, a friend of mine came to my house and told me that the new government are recruiting sweepers, I applied for the job and got it ....

J - How many days do you work and how much are you paid ?

E - I work from Monday to Friday with a salary of about 40,000,f cfa (80dollars) a month,





J - Is that what you use to train your kids or you do something else?

E - I sell plantain chips after work and my kids sell sachet water after school ...


J - Are there risk that comes with your job?



E -
Like any other job, the job of a sweeper on the highway has its own risks. some drivers yell at us, insult us and at times accident do happen, last year, a colleague of mine was knock down by a drunk taxi driver and that was it... The disease that comes with the dust we inhale everyday .... most times we don't get our protection gadgets such as gloves, scarves, boots, etc..and you would have to fend for yourself , if you can't , you will have to work like that....


J - Your friend that told you about the job, what does she do?

E - She is also a sweeper but she works for a private company...

J - why? is it better?

E - Yes, sometimes, they earn higher, but you can be sack at anytime...

J - The father of kids, do you know him?

E - No, I didn't even see his face 
J - How did it happen?

E - It was late at night, i went to empty our dustbin , and that was it... (sobbing)

J - How do you feel each time you see your kids?

E - i feel depressed at times, but i love them , i cant imagine life without them but i could have preferred getting married or at least in a relationship before having them...

J - how old are you?

E - 25years

J - How old are the twins

E - 10years

J - Are you in a relationship?

E - yes, with God...

J - Are you not considering marriage?
  
E - No, thanks

J - Thanks for your time...


E - It's ok...
  
Rape is a terrible act, let's stand against it, 
How do we heal this young woman, 
How do we convince her that all men are not the same,  
How do we help her...
I ran into them (sweepers) around my area and i noticed she was the youngest among others i used to see, I decided to get close to her and know why such a young girl is wasting ... and this is her story...

No comments:

Post a Comment